SURRENDER OF MULTIPLE DIN
Director Identification Number (DIN) is a unique 8 digit numeric number allotted to an individual who proposes to become a Director/Designated Partner. However, sometimes due to change in information or other technical and clerical reason, multiple DIN has been allotted to individuals. Many a time individuals do not have the idea that multiple DIN’s have been allotted to them. In case of multiple DIN only the oldest DIN can be retained. Therefore, it is utmost important to ensure the oldest Din and complete the DIR 3 KYC.
Let us understand the method of surrender of DIN:
Pursuant to Section 154 of the Companies Act, 2013, No individual shall apply for more than one Din and if the any person is holding more than one DIN, then he/ she is under legal obligation to surrender additional DIN so allotted.
The surrender of DIN is applicable to the individual who have been inadvertently allotted Multiple DIN.
CHECK THE STATUS OF DIN
Before applying, check the details of DIN allotted. In order to check all you need to have:
- First name of the Director
- Father’s Surname
- Date of Birth
- With this details in hand, the very first step is to login to the MCA Portal.
- After that, select View of Director’s/ Designated Partner’s Details.
- If there are multiple DIN’s, then check the status whether the same ae still active or not
PROCEED TO FILE FORM DIR-5
Proceed for filling Form DIR-5 with the following details:
- DIN to be kept
- DIN to be surrendered
- Reason for surrender
- Declaration for having multiple DIN
- Details of Person signing the Form i.e. DIN holder/Authorised Person
- Details of professional/DIN/Secretary
- ID Proof
- Address Proof ( For resident not older than 2 months and in case of Foreigner not older than 1year from the date of filling of the documents)
- Optional Document
- Affidavit that the retained DIN shall be updated with Companies/LLP’s
- Copy of Death Certificate
- Copy of the order of Court in case the applicant is declared insolvent/unsound mind
- Documents to be certified by:
- In case of Indian National: Self attested/ notarised/ certified by Gazetted Certificate documents only when form is certified by the Professional (CA/CS/CWA)/ Secretary/Director.
- In case of Foreign National: Documents to be attested by the Consulate of the Indian Embassy, Foreign Public Notrary.
- In case of Director, documents can be certified also by the Company Secretary in employment/Managing Director/CEO
- Make payment of Rs. 1,000/- for DIR-5 at the MCA Portal.
- The Form is a non STP and hence will be approved only after scrutinizing the form properly.
- In case if all the documents are in order, Regional Director will cancel all other Multiple DIN
POINTS TO BE KEPT IN MIND
- Only 1 DIN can be retained
- Oldest DIN shall be retained, rest all can be surrendered
- The DIN to surrendered should not be associated with any Company/LLP’s
It is better to surrender multiple DIN before the expiry of DIR-3-KYC so as to avoid late fees on DIR-3 KYC. Further only the correct details against the DIN shall be uploaded with the MCA database.